We, here at Combat Coffee + Tea, have a passion for coffee that is coupled with an incalculable devotion to helping our fellow-man. We whole-heartedly believe that we are all here to make an impact in as many lives as possible and have made it our mission to pledge up to 20% of all proceeds to worthy charities each month.
During the month of April, the world raises awareness of Autism Spectrum Disorder and as a result, this month's donation goes to the Autism Research Institute.
Autism, or autism spectrum disorder, refers to a range of conditions characterized by challenges with speech and nonverbal communication, social skills, and repetitive behaviors and may also obtain unique strengths and differences. Through years of research, we now understand that there are many different types of autism that are caused by combinations of environmental and genetic influences.
Indications of autism generally appear between the ages of two and three, but can sometimes be obvious as early as when a child is 18 months.
Some facts about autism:
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates autism’s prevalence as 1 in 68 children in the United States. This includes 1 in 42 boys and 1 in 189 girls.
- An estimated 50,000 teens with autism become adults – and lose school-based autism services – each year.
- Around one third of people with autism remain nonverbal.
- Around one third of people with autism have an intellectual disability.
- Certain medical and mental health issues frequently accompany autism. They include gastrointestinal (GI) disorders, seizures, sleep disturbances, attention deficit and hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), anxiety and phobias.
With every Combat Coffee + Tea purchase in the month of April, you are helping raise awareness and fund research of Autism Spectrum Disorder. For a complete list of this year's monthly charities, visit our charities page.